We want you to fit right in during your trip to Belize, so we thought we'd help you out. It's easy to mispronounce words when you've only ever seen them written down.
Here are some of the most common words that tourists mispronounce when visiting Belize:
- Pronounced “Key”
- Refers to the many islands surrounding the Belize mainland.
- Pronounced “Pala-Pa”
- This refers to a thatch-roofed building, typically with open sides. When used at a resort, this typically means the restaurant or beach house.
- Pronounced “Thach” (the “t” is silent, just like in the word “Hatch”)
- This refers to roofing used in many tropical locations, but especially Belize. It can be made out of straw, leaves, grain stacks, etc.
- Pronounced “Conk”
- This refers to a type of shellfish that lives in large spiral shells. It is an island delicacy and is typically served either raw or fried.